A lovely vegetarian friend of mine requested a recipe attempt – *healthy* African Peanut Soup. We agree it turned out pretty good 😉 Less fat and calories than the traditional recipe.
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Containers: 1 green, 1/2 yellow, 1 orange
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ medium onion
- 2 juicy tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp hot sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 to 1.5 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water (I used water)
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 tbsp peanuts, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, blend the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, tomato paste, spices until pureed. Add to the saucepan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, lentils, sweet potato, carrots, water and lime juice. Mix, cover and cook.
- Stir at 15 minutes. Cook until veggies are al-dente.
- Puree in a blender, food processer or using an immersion blender.
- Serve, topped with chopped peanuts!