As the weather gets warmer, the less time we want to spend inside cooking! We have been trying new vegetarian recipes to add to our meal plan and this one is PERFECT for the freezer. We doubled the recipe and froze each enchilada individually for speedy dinners on the go.
Serving Size: 1 Enchilada
Containers: 1.5 yellow, 1 red (for vegetarians), 1/2 blue,
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbsp Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
15 oz can black beans, drained
1½ cups yellow corn
6 oz baby spinach
6 green onions, thinly sliced
⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cups shredded cheese blend (cheddar), divided
8 small whole wheat tortillas
Prepare enchilada sauce:
1. In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic.
2. Add chipotle peppers, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set 1 cup aside until ready to use, freeze the rest.
1. Lay tortillas out on a flat surface.
2. Layer each tortilla with spinach, 1/4 black bean mixture. Roll and place seam side down onto a baking sheet.
3. Top each enchilada with 2 tbsp prepared sauce, followed by 2 tbsp cheese.
4. Freeze enchiladas on baking sheet for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Individually wrap each enchilada in tin foil; place in large baggie and freeze.